Inland Empire SoCal Food Beat

Inland Empire SoCal Food Beat

Monday, November 30, 2009

Gazzolo's Sausages, San Bernardino


Wienerschnitzel with Warm Potato Salad and Red Cabbage $9.50

Updated 11/30/2009


Gazzolo's Sausages
132 E Highland Avenue
San Bernardino, CA 92404
(909) 886-3213


Was in the neighborhood today and had a chance to visit Gazzolo's. Nothing had changed since the last visit, same menu and staff. I looked over the menu and decided to give the Wienerschnitzel a try. In my short life I had not yet tried Wienerschnitzel. The Dinner was served with a basket of warm bread and butter. The Wienerschnitzel served was a freshly breaded boneless Pork Cutlet fried a nice golden brown. I know it was freshly breaded because I could hear the cook whisking the egg dip in the kitchen.. The Wienerschnitzel was delicious, it was perfectly prepared. I understand real Wienerschnitzel is made from veal, but I much prefer the pork. The warm potato salad was great. I do not know why they call potato salad. It is a good side dish, the potatoes are nice and firm. The potatoes are flavored with spices and bacon. The red cabbage had a slight sweet and sour taste. I would rate this meal as excellent. I will return to Gazzolo's soon to try another one of their delicious menu items.



Food *****



Two are Better than One $8.95
with Hot Kielbasa & Knockwurst Sausage's




"Our fabulous wurst (sausages) are prepared by our own Wurstmeister."

Gazzolo's Sausages

132 E Highland Avenue
San Bernardino, CA 92404
(909) 886-3213


I had a chance to try Gazzolo's last week. I understand it has been in business approximately forty years. It is in a marginal neighborhood and is not open for dinner. My only real experience with this cuisine is eating in German and Swiss restaurants in Thailand. I always hated sauerkraut as a kid, but have developed a taste for it in the last ten years. Parking and entrance for Gazzolo's is in the rear. The restaurant is not terribly large, but is neat and cozy. As I was seated handed a well used paper menu with American , European and deli choices. The sausage plates caught my eye. You get your choice of sausage, Veal Bockwurst, Pork Bratwurst, Knockwurst, Frankfurters (2), Italian, Polish, Hungarian Style, Kielbasa, Hot Kielbasa, Cajun, and Jalapeno.
The meal is served with hot German potato salad, and a choice of sauerkraut or red cabbage, and a basket of warm bread and butter. The price for all of this is a mere $6.95. I chose the "Two are better than One", Knockwurst and Hot Kielbasa for $8.95. First came the bread basket, three thin slices of warm brown bread. The bread was fresh and had a hint of rye. Sausage plate was served along with garnish pots of yellow mustard, spicy mustard and horseradish sauce. Both of the sausages had a crisp casing. The Knockwurst tasted like a big hot dog to me, I alternately smothered it in mustard and horseradish to spice it up. The Kielbasa was good but could not taste the hot California chilies it is made with. The hot potato salad was perfect, the potatoes were firm but melted in your mouth. The sauerkraut was tasty and tangy.

I don't believe I would order the sausage plate again. I think I prefer my sausages on a bun. They do have a menu choice of any Sausage on a roll for $6.50, it comes with one side order. The menu has so many interesting choices, stuffed Knockwurst $7.95, Cold Cut Plate $6.95, Westphalian Ham $7.95, Wienerschnitzel $9.50 and Paprika Goulash $8.95 just to name a few.

I am looking forward to my next visit to explore the menu further. Service was friendly and prompt. I do not think you can find this quality of European food at these reasonable prices any where in Southern California.

My only complaint is the odor left in my car taking home the leftover sauerkraut.

Food ****

Ambiance **

Service **

Expense - $

Repeat Visit? Yes

Gazzolo's Sausage Co Restaurant on Urbanspoon




Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention the large selection of German beer on the menu. Also has attached Deli where you can buy the meats and sausages served in the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete